Sunday, August 18, 2013

Final Thoughts

Overall, I had the trip of a lifetime travelling around New Zealand during the past month. As I sit here in the LAX airport trying to reflect, there is just too much that I learned and experienced during my trip to put into words.

I met amazing people, both kiwis and world travellers. Had amazing times learning about NZ culture including school systems and the adventurous lifestyle and I absolutely loved the beautiful country!

To try to sum up my experience with the people from  New Zealand I have two stories.
1-Yesterday, I sort of overbooked my day in an attempt to get everything in during the last day. While we were hang gliding I was super nervous that I was going to be late and miss the Canyon Swing (well, I was late in fact) but Michel kept saying to relax because they would figure it out. Finally when it was clear I was late I asked the guide what to do and he calmly told me to call the people at the swing and he would take care of it. They chatted for a minute or so and ended up having a driver take me across town for the swing, even walked me along the trail into the building. I was obviously apologetic and feeling bad for rushing our group and having people go out of their way for my mistake but each person involved genuinely acted like they couldn't have cared less that I caused this issue. It was totally fine and no big deal to rearrange and find a driver for me. That's how my whole trip had been...  sure the people in NZ are friendly, but I think it's more than that. It's a genuine satisfaction with life that allows each person to be kind and relaxed every day. It's not having traffic or lines or the hustle and bustle day after day and just appreciating what you're doing in the present.
2- People in Nz are seemingly not concerned with things. I gathered this assumption after realizing I hadn't heard anyone compliment another's hair, dress, make up, bag, etc. Once I noticed, I started focusing on it and never heard a comment like that at all!! Granted, given my attire and lack of make up, there was a small chance a compliment like that was coming my way- but I think it was evident that most people there just don't see those things as important. I heard many compliments to kids about their behavior and things of that nature but nothing about appearance.

Wouldn't you know, I'm sitting in LAX when a girl in a cute dress walks by and a girl walking the other way stops her to say "wow, I love your dress!" Couldn't have planned it better.

I'm not saying everything is perfect over there, but I did learn valuable lessons about how I may be able to approach life differently in order to find more contentment- the kiwi way!

In short I did the following during my trip:

Climbed the Auckland Harbour Bridge
Jumped off the Sky Tower
Attended two professional rugby games
Helped facilitate a school wide cross country race
Abseilled, black water rafted, caved, and rock climbed through the Waitomo Caves
Soaked in a geothermal spa
Saw thermal pools and a geyser at Wai o tapo
Went on OGO
Attended a Maori cultural dinner and show
Completed a high ropes course
Visited NZ history museum
Hiked to Huka Falls
Attended a week of outdoor camp at Outdoor Pursuits Centre including: skiing, caving, hiking, overnight camping, high ropes course
Attended a beer brewing festival
Took a tour of Parliament
Rode on a ferry across the Cook Straight
Walked the Abel Tasman Coastal Track
Saw the Purknacki pancake rocks and blow holes
Climbed Fox Glacier
Took part in a luge race
Went hang gliding
Jumped off the Canyon Swing

Visited:
Mellons Bay Primary School
Pigeon Mountain Primary School
Bucklands Beach Intermediate
MacLeans College
Motueka High School

Travelled for total of 26 days:

Baltimore
San Francisco
Auckland
Bucklands Beach
Hamilton
Rotoura
Taupo
Tongariro National Park
Wellington
Nelson
Motueka
Greymouth
Fox Glacier
Queenstown
Christchurch

Drove 3052.7 km (nearly 1900 miles).

And especially learned a lot about many different people and cultures and how there is so much to see in the world- just gotta get out and do it!

(Europe 2014 :)

1 comment:

  1. I WANT TO GO TO EUROPE WITH YOU. Cousin travels??? please!

    ReplyDelete