Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Motueka Day Two

Today I walked to the high school which is only a few minutes from my hostel. It was the coldest morning I've had so far on the trip but it was a clear, beautiful day outside.

I sat in on a "double" Year 13 class as they were getting prepared for their trip at the end of the week. First, they shared about their previous trip to the mountains and explained some things they learned. Apparently one of the students incorrectly belayed another student, causing her to fall so they were giving him a hard time. They used a website to practice deciding which route to take up a mountain using the ridge line and they reviewed how to determine the weather without modern technology.
Next, they started working on an assignment where they are to plan a trip and take into consideration the many factors that go into a camping trip. Finally, they checked the weather for the remainder of the week and discussed packing for the trip according to the weather. When I realized the rest of the week is expected to be rainy, I decided to make an early exit and hike the Abel Tasman Coastal Track a day early.

I rushed around, and drove about a half hour to the start of the park. I had exactly four hours to complete the four hour hike up the coast where a water taxi would pick me up and bring me back. Many people opt for the three day hike where you stay in huts along the way. That's a little much for me, but two guys in my hostel are starting that hike tomorrow!

The views are absolutely amazing!! Super blue water, blue skys, and lush rainforest. The temperature was a perfect chilly 60 degrees and it ended up only taking me about 3 hours and 15 (I was scared to miss the boat). I was so happy I decided to hike today because clear, beautiful days are hard to come by in winter here. As expected, clouds started to take over during the end of the trip and literally when I stepped foot on the beach for the water taxi pick up it started to rain. It's been pouring ever since!

I had delicious thai food for dinner and another interesting, relaxing night hanging with all the guys in our hostel. Tomorrow I head down the west coast and am hoping for good weather because I know there will be some sights to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment